Sunday, August 03, 2008

STEPS OF FAITH

[SUBVERSIVE UNDERGROUND]

STEPS OF FAITH
By Keith Giles


This morning I did something very important. I got out of bed, got down on my knees and surrendered my life to Jesus.

I bowed my head and said, "Jesus, you know I've not loved my neighbor as myself, and I'm not very good at considering others as better than me, but I confess to you my sins and my failures and I ask you to help me to follow you with all my heart. I want to hear your voice and I want to live my life for you, Lord Jesus."

After that I felt like a load had been lifted from my shoulders, and my heart felt lighter than usual.

The air outside was crisp and brand new, the way I felt inside. The day was just beginning and I knew that my life in Christ was just beginning too.

I must admit, this isn't the first time I've bowed my head and bent my knee to ask God for forgiveness. I do it all the time. In fact, my goal has been to make repentence and confession a daily occurence. Not a ritual, but a very real and honest admission to God of my weakness, my failures and my great need for more of Him in my life.

I used to think of salvation as having taken place when I first prayed that prayer of repentence and confession as a 9 year old boy in Eagle Pass, Texas at the Lighthouse Freewill Baptist Church. That was certainly a very important day in my journey with Christ, but it wasn't enough, unfortunately. I soon learned that I needed a daily shot of God's Grace and a constant infusion of His Holy Spirit to fill me and change me and empower me to be like Jesus.

"For you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." - 1 Peter 1:9

Today was a very important day in my spiritual life too. It was yet another opportunity to lay down my life and surrender my heart to Jesus.

Taking up my cross, and letting go of my life, is part of my daily obedience to Jesus. I need a constant conversion experience in order to place my feet into the footprints of the One who is ahead of me, blazing a trail of love and forgiveness and mercy and grace.

Today I gave my heart to Christ. Did you?

-kg
**

No comments: