Wednesday, December 21, 2005

STILL

[sent on Dec.12th, 2005 to the subscribers of the subversive underground e-newsletter]

STILL

You know, I love it when I'm blind-sided by God.

The other day, driving in the car with my wife Wendy, listening to a song by Alanis Morrissette (yes, I know she's a pagan, get over it), we were both moved to tears.

The song is called "Still" and it's written from the perspective of God as if He is singing to us.

Here's the part that really got to to us (see below).

STILL by Alanis

I see you averting your glances
I see you cheering on the war
I see you ignoring your children

And I love you still
And I love you still

I see you altering history
I see you abusing the land
I see you and your selective amnesia

And I love you still
And I love you still

I see you holding your grudges
I see you gunning them down
I see you silencing your sisters

And I love you still
And I love you still

I see you lie to your country
I see you forcing them out
I see you blaming each other

And I love you still
And I love you still


*It's so cool to know that God is bigger than the acceptable Christian bubble where everything is "safe for the whole family". God's Spirit is at work all around us. The Kingdom is near.

Just started to read the new book by Barna "REVOLUTION" and so far it's cool, but he's not gotten to the part that sounds like what we're doing exactly...maybe it's in the third chapter? Still, he's convinced that the next 10 years will mean a radical shift in how America defines and "does church" and it will look a lot like relational, simple, community-focused gatherings of sincere believers who are compelled to follow Jesus with their entire life, not just with their lips.

I recommend everyone get a copy and read it. It's truly incredible that someone like Barna would prophetically see this coming shift and call it a revolution. It is bigger than we think.

Barna calls it a revolution, I liken it to a subversive underground movement of Jesus-people who are driven to live out their faith in the world, to "be the church" rather than just to attend it or give to it.

I'm encouraged, however, that, like Aslan of Narnia, God "is on the move" and that The Kingdom of God is still advancing.

I'm reminded that it can't be stopped. I'm resolved to surrender again my life to Jesus today.

Happy Monday.

Peace,
KG
*watch for a couple of new blog updates this week. I've got a few ideas percolating right now and I need to get them out.
http://subversive1.blogspot.com

No comments: